Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sugar cube lab

Skills learned- Some of the skills learned were that hot temperatures are very dangerous and that in the future I need to be careful with hot temperatures. I also learned that anything combustible can change in some way or form. One more thing that I learned is that gas is a dangerous substance unless it is used correctly for a good purpose. Concept- The physical changes were very very obvious. One of them was the sugar cube melted into a new state of matter. The color became black when the particles were dispersed into the air. The carbon left over became charred along the tube. As the cube melted the particles became excited and broke away after going from a solid to a liquid and then to a gas only leaving the burnt carbon behind. This lab taught me that chemicals can be separated by changing the states of matter.

Sources- www.marmitelover.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html

No comments: