For me the dissection was even more remarkable than I imagined. I was amazed about the similarity the human organs and the frogs' organs shared. At first I was a little hesitant but as we got into it the repulsion became less and less as curiosity took over. For me, to see what some of the organs look like was astonishing. The muscle had a pattern to it. The nerves were smooth. The heart was so small and intricate. The liver was hard and cold. The gallbladder looked like a booger. The spleen looked very similar to the gallbladder. The only difference that I could see was that the gallbladder was green and the spleen was a dark purple. To locate the kidney was a little difficult. Many organs had to be moved in order to see them. They did in fact look like kidney beans.
These organs weren't as impressive as the others. The stomach was interesting to me. When we cut it open I saw the muscles that churned the food. It was cool to see. I stared for a long time. But I couldn't help but realize that all these organs worked together when the frog was alive. After that I moved to the intestines. It wasn't as large as ours but it was long for the frog. I didn't want to spend much time at the cloaca. It grossed me out after one of my partners squeezed it. Moving on to the heart of the frog. It was cold and hard. Inside you could distinctly see the three chambers of the frog's heart. Under the heart is an organ that can easily be misidentified, called the lungs. Running down above it is the esophagus that leads to the stomach. I thought about the relationships between the organs of the frogs and ours. There are many including the kidneys, lungs, stomach, heart, intestines, etc.Even though the chest cavity was the main goal our group was still curious and ready to explore. In the mouth we found the unique tongue, the nostril holes and the glands on the sides of the mouth and of coarse the esophagus. Now that the stomach was open we could see down the esophagus. All along it we could see muscles. It was an intriguing sight.
In all the dissection was a fascinating sight and learning about it was also interesting as well. I was able to make connections between the frog and humans. It looked just like the diagram. But nothing beats seeing it for your own eyes.
Sources- Image 1- www.biologyjunction.com/frog_dissection.htm
Image 2- www.frog-life-cycle.com/diagram-frog-anatomy.html
No comments:
Post a Comment